I love the mystery and intrigue that comes with thrift shopping -I never know what I am going to find! This can be both a blessing and a curse. If I’m not careful, I will end up with a wardrobe full of super cool, super random clothing. If I can’t mix and match my wardrobe easily, I feel like I have nothing to wear. Thankfully there are ways to combat this.
One way that I make sure to keep my thrift shopping in check is to shop with a wish list. When I look for specific items at thrift stores, it helps me be more discerning, and buy what will really benefit my wardrobe. Also, I am more likely to find amazing things when I am consciously looking for them.
A few tips:
- Keep your list under 10 items. This will make thrift shopping with a wish list less daunting.
- Think about colors -and neutrals -that can enhance your wardrobe. Right now I am looking for more green and more navy.
- Look for “filler” items. These are the so-called boring clothing staples that can stretch your wardrobe -like white button up shirts, black t-shirts, etc.
- Think about occasion pieces. Do you need more work clothes, more dresses, or more casual clothing?
- Silhouettes are another great way to shop. I tend to buy a-line skirts, so I make a conscious effort to look for other silhouettes, such as pencil skirts or maxi-skirts.
This wish list tip is one of the key components of my thrift shopping strategy. Let me know if you take a thrifting wish list on one of your thrift shopping adventures!