For me, in order to feel indulged, I need to eat things that I love. And at the top of that list is chocolate. I love chocolate, and I need it to feel content. This being said, it can be easy to get out of control with my eating. It is important that I eat healthy, so I can take care of my body. So, I have developed a little exercise to help me control my chocolate consumption, eat healthy, and feel pampered at the same time: I do a chocolate meditation:
Here are the basic steps:
- Turn the lights off and put on some soothing music. Candlelight is great, but not necessary.
- Dress comfortably, preferably in something with soft fabric.
- Lay across your bed, couch, or wherever you feel most comfortable.
- Take one chocolate –yes one –this is important, and bring it up to your nose. Take in the delicious smell of chocolate.
- Gently scrape a thin layer of chocolate off with your teeth. Let the chocolate melt on your tongue. Take your time.
- As you continue to do this, enjoying thin slivers at a time, imagine you are somewhere luxurious. Sometimes I imagine myself on the beach, with waves of salt water lapping against my bare feet. Sometimes I imagine myself in a sumptuous palace, filled with ornate artwork, and servants catering to my every whim. It doesn’t matter what you imagine, as long as it is a pampering daydream.
- When you finish your chocolate, slowly get up. Take the sense of contentment with you as you finish up your day.
This helps me to renew and connect with myself, enjoy my chocolate, and make healthy eating decisions the rest of the day. And now, I connect chocolate with a sense of accomplishment, rather than guilt.